Palazzo dell’Università (Palace of University) is the symbol of art and culture in the city of Catania. The history of the Palace dates back to 1696 but after three years the earthquake that destroyed Catania, destroyed the palace too. For this reason, it was restructured by Francesco and Antonino Battaglia and Giovan Battista Vaccarini.
The courtyard is surrounded by an elegant two floor arcade which, at the beginning, was opened to the four sides of the palace. In the sumptuous Aula Magna, there are painted frescos of the Catanese artist Giovan Battista Piparo. Work on the new university building was completed towards the end of the 18th century.