Palazzo degli Elefanti
Palazzo degli Elefanti (“Elephants Palace”) currently houses the city’s Town Hall and it is located on the northern side of the Cathedral square.
It was built after the devastating eartquake of 1693. The eastern, southern, and western façades were designed by Giovan Battista Vaccarini, while the northern one was by Carmelo Battaglia. Inside the palace there is the inner court with four porticoes.
In the entrance hall there are the two 18th century stagecoaches called “Carrozze del Senato” used as mean of transport by the mayor during the celebrations dedicated to Saint Agata, on 3rd of February. Palazzo degli Elefanti was destroyed on 14th December 1944 by a raging fire and re-opened after eight years of work.