The name Porta Uzeda comes from Juan Francisco Pacheco Téllez-Girón, duke of Uzeda, a vicerè of Sicily between 1687 and 1696. The Vicerè was the king regent during the spanish government which started in 1412 and ended in 1830.
The door, opened in the fifteenth-century walls of Charles V, was entitled to the duke of Uzeda as a token of appreciation for his commitment to the reconstruction of the city destroyed by the earthquake of 1693.
An eighteenth-century chronicle tells that the end of his vice-reign was glad to many sicilian people who did not appreciate his rigidity and intransigence.
Valutazioni del posto
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.