Porta Garibaldi

Originally named Porta Ferdinandea (porta means door), Porta Garibaldi represents a triumphal arc and was built in 1768 following the project of Stefano Ittar e Francesco Battaglia, in order to remember and celebrate the wedding of King Ferdinand IV and her wife. The arch is made by alternating layers of white limestone and lava stone.

The area where it is located is called “U futtinu” that in sicilian means “black house”.