Saint Benedict church was built between 1704 and 1713 and it is dedicated to St. Benedict of Nursia. The church is part of a complex including also the Badia Maggiore and the Badia Minore, connected by a covered bridge over the road.
Its most famous feature is the Angel’s Staircase (Italian: Scalinata dell’Angelo), a marble entrance stair decorated with statues of angels and surrounded by a wrought ironrailings. The entrance door, in wood, has panels with Stories of St. Benedict.
The interior, with a single nave, is home to frescoes by Sebastiano Lo Monaco, Giovanni Tuccari and Matteo Desiderato. The vault is frescoed with scenes of the life of St. Benedict. The high altar is in polychrome marble with hardstone intarsia and bronze panels.
Since April 2013 guided tours are available on the inside.