Chiesa di Sant’Agata al Borgo
Via Etnea 437, Catania
The “Borgo” district was built after the great 1669 eruption, in order to receive the refugees from the nearby destroyed villages. At that time, a church dedicated to Saint Agatha was also built there and rebuilt then, after the 1693 earthquake. Inside, the aisleless church is richly decorated by the 18th century paintings of Giovanni Lo Coco, known as “U surdu di laci”. Particularly beautiful the frescos in the apsis, describing episodes of Saint Agatha martyrdom and her coronation by Jesus Christ.